Broccoli and "Cheese" Socca Pizza
(dairy-free, gluten-free, plant-based)
You will love this gluten free and dairy free broccoli and cheese socca pizza! This pizza is easy to make and perfect for a light dinner. Serve with a green salad for a complete meal!
What is Socca Pizza?
Socca pizza is a pizza crust made with chickpea / garbanzo flour. This chickpea flatbread is said to have originated from France, where it is considered a chickpea pancake. Other names for this unique flatbread include: farinata (Italy) or panisse (France).
No matter what you call it, this flatbread is delicious, easy to make and naturally gluten free! The crust has a slightly earthy flavor, smooth, moist interior and when baked at a high temp has crispy browned edges.
How to Make Socca Pizza
This chickpea flour crust comes together with just a few ingredients. First you will want to make your socca pizza crust as it needs to rest for 45 minutes to 1 hour. This helps the crust come together and not be as sticky.
After your crust has rested, spread it on your pizza pan and bake in the oven for 10 minutes. While your pizza bakes, saute your broccoli and mushroom topping!
Remove your crust from the oven, top with your sauce and toppings and of course a generous drizzle of Core and Rind Sharp and Tangy Cashew Cheesy Sauce!
Serving Ideas for Socca Pizza
This socca pizza is rich in protein and perfect for pizza night! This chickpea crust pizza is best served fresh, but if you do have leftovers, it tastes great warmed up on the grill. Place a few slices on oiled foil, close loosely and warm up on the top grill rack for 5-7 minutes.
Your broccoli and mushroom mix will make more than you need, making it perfect to use on a salad. Be sure to use your favorite Core and Rind Cheesy Sauce as your salad dressing!
Need more cheesy pizza ideas? Check out our Nacho Party Pizza and Perfect Fall Pizza!
Ingredients in socca pizza crust:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp mixed dried italian seasoning
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup broccoli florets, chopped small
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- ¼ cup chickpeas
- ¼ cup red onion
- 1-2 Tbsp Tomato Sauce
- Core and Rind Sharp and Tangy Cheesy Sauce
- In a bowl, whisk together the chickpea flour, water, 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, garlic, italian seasoning and salt. Let the mixture rest at room temperature for 45 minutes 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 450F and line a round pizza pan with parchment paper.
- Pour the batter onto the round pizza pan and tilt to make sure the tray is evenly coated. Cook for 10 minutes until golden and slightly crisp. Remove from the oven but keep the oven hot.
- While your pizza crust bakes, saute your mushrooms and broccoli in a water saute, start with about one tbsp water and continue to increase until your broccoli easily can break with your spatula.
- Spread pizza sauce evenly over your crust, add your mushrooms and broccoli, top with red onion and drizzle with Core and Rind Sharp and Tangy cheese. Depending on how heavy you put your toppings, you may have some leftover of your mushroom and broccoli mix (pro tip: use it on salad to serve with the pizza)
- Bake pizza another 10 minutes
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley if desired. Serve hot with additional tomato or cheesy sauce.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator. Tip: Tastes great if you warm up on the grill! To do that, lightly spray foil with cooking spray. Place a few slices on the foil and grill on the top rack for 5 - 7 minutes.