Tater Tot Casserole gets a dairy-free makeover with Sharp & Tangy Cashew Cheesy Sauce! This classic comfort food is hearty, delicious and perfect for dinner.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Bake Time: 45 minutes
- ½ cup dry lentils
- 1 cup vegetable broth, divided
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 8 ounce package white or brown mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp coarse ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp flour, gluten-free, if desired
- 3/4 cup Core and Rind Sharp & Tangy Cashew Cheesy Sauce, divided
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce, vegan, if desired
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables (peas, carrots, corn)
- 16 ounces frozen tater tots, equivalent to ½ a bag
- Green onions, fresh parsley, additional Cashew Cheesy Sauce for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add lentils, ½ cup vegetable broth and water to a medium pot. Bring to a boil and cook until lentils are tender, about 20 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in a cast iron skillet over medium heat add olive oil, then saute onions and mushrooms, cooking for 5-7 minutes or until softened. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Add in flour and whisk for 15 seconds before adding in the remaining ½ cup broth, ½ cup Cashew Cheesy Sauce and Worcestershire sauce.
- Cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes until thickened. Gently stir in cooked lentils and frozen vegetables.
- Top the mixture with tater tots, drizzle with remaining ¼ cup Cashew Cheesy Sauce and bake for 45 minutes until casserole is heated through.
Store: Once cooled, you can store your tater tot casserole in the fridge in an airtight container for 3-4 days. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Can I use ground meat instead of lentils?
Yes! You could use 1 pound ground beef, ground turkey, beef or chicken. In step 1, omit the lentils and cook your meat instead.
Does it matter what type of frozen vegetable I use?
You will want smaller, quick cooking vegetables like peas, corn, or diced carrots. You can use a blend or just one type of vegetable. I just used frozen peas!
Can I make it more saucy?
While I found this version was the optimal amount of sauciness for my taste, feel free to add additional Cheesy Sauce or non-dairy milk of your choice up to ¼ cup in step 4 when you add in your broth etc. to make the casserole more saucy.
Can I use another flavor of Cashew Cheesy Sauce?
Yes! The taste will change, but this would be delicious for variety. Make a ‘taco variation’ with Bold and Spicy Cheesy Sauce and taco seasoning. Yummy!